Friday, October 23

I "Saw" enough.

Well, it looks like they've reached the point to where Saw freakin' six is in theaters. Well, ladies and gentlemen, like any proper horror franchise, this series has no idea when to quit. In any case, believe it or not, there was one point in which I actually used to like these films. After I caught Saw III in theaters, I wrote this up. From October 31, 2006.....

I lied. I went and saw a horror movie last night. Yeah, yeah, I remember all that crap I went on about how I refused to watch anymore horror movies earlier in the year after viewing the trifecta of suck known as The Fog, When A Stranger Calls and last but not least The Hills Have Eyes; however, bear in mind that I said I refused to watch any shitty horror movies. I didn't say I wouldn't mind taking a trip to the local theater to catch up on the good stuff. Or at least stuff that seemed good anyway. Like Saw III.

Yes, somehow, someway, I've managed to find enjoyment out of not one, not two, but three indulgent gore fests, not only liking them but considering owning the films as well. See, while Saw III went even more over the top with the gore and blood, the film still had the great writing and suspenseful surprises to let me over look that part of the film. Saw III was not only a good movie in its own right, it actually wrapped up everything in the first two films in a nice neat package and choosing to end the film in such a way that seemed to give a hearty "screw you" to anyone who thought about making a Saw "4" and I thank them for that. Saw III even attempted to offer insight into why Jigsaw does what he does, something that was touched upon in the second film, but never fully explained. In this way, they've taken a generic bad guy character who seemed to be completely devoid of personality in the first film and by the end of the third film made him an almost sympathetic character as you understand fully the motiviating factors for his actions.

A lot of people when mentioning the Saw movies just talk about all of the blood and gore of the film. But you see, what separates the Saw films from other violent piles of crap like Hostel or Rest Stop is that rather than be the focal point of the film, the blood and gore is simply a backdrop for a well fleshed out story that slowly reveals itself piece by piece over the course of three films.

But let's not kid ourselves here, Saw III was violent as hell. Way over the top and at many times unnecessarily so, you can almost hear the director in the background saying "we gotta make this more brutal than the other two". I guess I can't fault the movie makers that much, though. I mean, given its target audience. 90% of the people going to see that film see no difference between Saw or any of that other violent horror crap, anyways. If the film didn't have buckets of blood people would hate it. Good writing and paying careful attention to the first two movies be damned, he smushed his foot wit teh ston tablet, HUR HUR HUR. Yeah, dood! I SAW it! LOL.

But whatever, I'll enjoy this as a victory for horror movies. Hooray for the best line of horror films to come out in over a decade. Let us all rejoice.

At least until Hostel 2.

Yeah.......scratch that crap. Some goofballs decided to pen a lame script for a sequel and the original creators couldn't help but say, "Show me the money!" This series has transformed into everything that is utterly wrong with horror films these days. And much like I figured, any possible way to try to continue this plot would only end in disaster, yet somehow they've managed to crank out three more sequels to this thing. The plot hasn't just been stretched thin, it's been ripped to shreds and left for dead. But I'm sure some folks are gonna die in some more ever increasingly asinine of ways. Ways so ridiculous it begins to border on the comical. Yes, the deaths have become so over the top they almost make you laugh as this series wallows gleefully in its excesses, completely and utterly ignorant of the hole it continues to dig for itself. Oh well, as long as somebody's neck gets twisted right? Hell, James Wan, the original director and later producer, doesn't even have anything to do with this nonsense anymore. In fact, I think he's directing the movie adaptation of Castlevania. That'll be....interesting. Anyway, I implore all of you. Don't go see this movie. For my sake. I'm sick of seeing saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment