Wednesday, June 17

Videogame Humor


This is an interesting article that I really got me thinking about something I've never noticed before. Harold Ramis is right, it's very difficult to interject humor into a game and still make the game fun to play. I suppose that's why those Family Guy and Aqua Teen Hunger Force games were absolutely atrocious even though they both had me howling for the short time frame that I actually did play them.


The Gex games are a good example also, as they were all fairly playable, yet because of the repetitious nature of videogames, many of his jokes grew tiresome and you just wanted to strangle that damned gecko by the time you reached the end of the game.


That's not to say that a great game with good humor has never been done at all, I mean look at the Disgaea series. This gives me a new appreciation for those games, they're excellent strategy RPGs yet at the same time manages to interject loads of humor.

1 comment:

  1. lol... yeah, and just as a credit to his talent in writing humor, he still manages to pull it off. The only issues with the Ghostbuster game is that it's installation (which is required to play it) is 4 GB of memory, and that it's a little too difficult for younger video game players. (I should mention that it's difficulty, however, is often fair considering that the only people who will truely be excited to play this are in their 20's or above.)

    Chomo~Arigato

    ReplyDelete