Tuesday, July 28

KOF XII Rant. This may take 772 MB to read.

You know what, it has to be said. King of Fighters XII is simply unacceptable. I’m a huge KOF fan, but I unfortunately must come to this ultimate and final conclusion. Don’t get me wrong, I wanted to like this game, but simply can’t. I cannot justify the 60 dollar price tag attached to this title. I knew that the game didn’t have very many features or that many fighters, but I still bought the thing because I love the KOF series and I mostly bought it for the online.

The online. Oh boy where to begin. Yes, yes, they’re working hard or whatever to fix the lag but let’s be honest; there shouldn’t have been this lag to begin with. Again, go back to the $60 price tag. SNK has no business releasing a game at full price that feels unfinished especially when you consider that the online mode was really all it had going for it. This game was supposed to be a reinvigoration of the series. This game is a joke. As much as I didn’t care for SF4, and as much as you can crack on it and say it has a naked Pepsiman for a final boss and you only see Ryu and Ken online players, at least it had workable online functionality right out of the box and I didn’t have to sit here and wait for an hour to d/l some 772MB (!) patch just to get the one barebones feature of this game that I blew $60 on. There is a perfectly viable alternative to this game on the store shelves right now and it’s called BlazBlue Calamity Trigger. That game is sitting in my drawer underneath my TV and I’m starting to miss it. I’m a long time fan and I can’t even be pleased by this game. How in the world anyone who has never played a KOF game before gets into this series by being introduced to this title is beyond me. Because honestly, I’ve got another perfectly viable alternative to this game sitting in my drawer too. It’s called KOF Orochi Saga and it’s got 5 perfectly fine KOF games for a budget price. I should have just stuck with that.

“Oh! But you should wait for the next patch!” some say. I say don’t charge me $60 for a game you still haven’t worked the kinks out of.

“Oh! But there will be more characters in the DLC!” some say. I say don’t charge me more money to play as characters that should have been included in the game in the first place especially when the game features as little backgrounds and as much barebones gameplay modes as possible.

“Oh! But its about the gameplay! They just wanted to focus on the fighting engine!” I say, so did BlazBlue and it got everything else right. No excuses. Especially if they want my $60.

“You just wait until they make the next totally awesome epic KOF game that’ll have 100 characters and 50 stages! This is only the beginning!!!!” some say. I say when they make that game, then I’ll be perfectly happy with my $60 purchase, until then, shame on them for releasing this ridiculous game.


But honestly, why should SNK bother making that totally awesome KOF game? They already got my money because I stupidly bought the game. Some fat cat is probably sitting in his fat cat office laughing at all of us as we struggle in vain to win a ranked match because everything is so slow it looks like a PowerPoint slideshow. Why should they bother when people are willing to accept this crap and defend it, ready and willing to give SNK more money for content that should have and could easily have been included in the first place, ready at the keyboard to defend a junk game while they wait for their massive hours long patch to download all in anticipation of playing as perhaps two more characters, and if we’re lucky, one more stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment